Every Little Helps
In last week’s blog, we looked at how we can turn to God in our stressful times, especially in this financial and political climate. However, though we know and appreciate the power of prayer, sometimes, we need actual, physical help. Whether that be to access resources or ways to entertain our kids in the holidays (that doesn’t break the bank). With that in mind, this week, we want to give practical things that can alleviate some of the stresses many are feeling within the Borough at the moment. So if you know of a friend, family member or neighbour, that needs support and they live within Barking & Dagenham, please do share this blog with them.
For general help, you can get support from the council, local charities, and community groups:
Getting you help and support with the cost of living
- BD Money
- Help With Debt
- The Household Support Fund has now been extended for the period October 2022 – March 2023 and remains open for new applications
- Winter Fuel: If you are aged 60 or over, you could be entitled to help with paying your fuel bill in winter. Most people get this automatically, but if you think you need to make a claim then you can call the Winter Fuel Allowance Helpline: 0845 915 1515
- For other benefits and support from the council, check out their Support page
- Free holiday activities
- Child Care Support: working families may be eligible for tax-free childcare and save up to £2,000 a year for each of their children under 11 (or £4,000 if you they have a child under 17 with a disability)
- Children Centres in the Borough
- A list of warm spaces
- If you are looking for fun, free hobbies check out the Everyone Everyday Program
- Community Food Clubs: you could reduce your food shopping bill by having access to roughly £20 worth of shopping each week
- Foodbanks: get emergency food parcels if you are temporarily unable to provide for yourself
- Free school meals
There are many other ways LBBD can help and support you if needed, and if you’re looking for something else not listed above, please look at the extensive list on their site.
If you’re in a position to be less affected by the situation, and you’re looking for ways to help within the community you can:
- Sign up to host a warm space in the Borough here
- Contact one of the foodbank listed above to donate food or your time
- Contact the council and see how you can further help those in your community
- Check in on a vulnerable friend, family member or neighbour and support them in the way you can and/or the way they need
Lastly, continue to pray. No matter where you are on the wealth spectrum. Pray for yourself and your family, pray for those around you and those that God puts on your heart, pray for the wider Borough and the community and pray for our leaders to have the wisdom to lead us out of this financial situation with compassion.
Prayer For Our Nation
at this time of crisis when so many are suffering,
we pray for our nation and our world.
Give our leaders wisdom,
our Health Service strength,
our people hope.
Lead us through these parched and difficult days
to the fresh springs of joy and
comfort that we find in Jesus Christ our Lord.